Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Color Purple

I think that Celie’s letters to god show that she is very desperate for someone to express her feelings to. She talks to god as if god was a friend of hers that listens to her stories while feeling sorry for her.
“I have always been a good girl. Maybe you can give me a sign letting me know what is happening to me” (Walker, Page 1).
This quote shows that she is writing to god out of confusion. She doesn’t know what is happening to her, so she is writing these entries to god so that he could help her. This also shows how lonely she is.
“When that hurt, I cry. He start to choke me, saying You better shut up and git used to it” (Walker, Page 1).
This shows how Celie is a strong individual. She has to live through her abusive father raping her and controlling her all the time. Her father even kills and sells her babies while she lies about them to her dieing mother.
“All I thought about was Nettie. How she could come to me if I marry him and he be so love struck with her I could figure out a way for us to run away” (Walker, Page 9).
This quote shows how caring Celie is. She cares about Nettie so much that she would even run away with her just so Nettie would be safe. This quote also shows how messed up Celie’s father is. He is practically giving away his daughter even though she does not love the person she is marrying. Plus, this quote shows how weak Celie is. She is letting herself being given and abused like a toy. She doesn’t do anything about the horrible things that are happening to her.
“I pray for strength, bite the insides of my jaws” (Walker, Page 26).
This line that Celie writes to god exemplifies how she is writing to god because she needs someone to hear her and help her. She is trusting god with her life because he is the only one she thinks can save her from her miserable and cowardly life.

No comments:

Post a Comment