Saturday, December 11, 2010

Response to Eric Wilson

I found this meaningful quote from Eric's blog. His post talks about video games, and how it connects to life. When I read it, I instantly found things that he said that I can relate to.

“Many people think that people that play shooter games or "war" games is to kill other people and people think it creates violent impulses. I would have to disagree because even though you are "killing" other players, it is no where near realistic. If someone is dies in real life, they are gone, and they are not coming back. In video games, the person you "killed" can immediately come back to life in a matter of seconds. People are "killed" for points, not to fulfill a cereal-killer's fantasy.”

I also agree that first person shooter do not affect a person's desire to kill and hurt others. I used to spend a lot of time playing first person shooter games, but anyone who knows me will say that I am definitely not violent. I have even heard that I need to be more violent when defending myself. I find that first person shooter games have actually made me less of a violent person since it teaches players that teamwork always helps, and that arguing will only lead to more problems. Teamwork is needed in these games when there is a mission involved, or if an area of enemies need to be trapped and surrounded for easier kills. First person shooters have also taught me to endure another's insults and anger. I have faced numerous player that have typed extremely nasty insults or comments to not only me, but to every other player that he dislikes. When this happens, I act calm, if that is possible over the internet, and confront, or even insult if that person is too hardheaded, them about how much of an ***hole they are being. I, too, believe that murdering others in real life is different to doing a mission for a purpose is in first person shooters. Playing the game is supposed to allow everyone to participate in the excitement and fun of battling each other, unlike how murdering someone is selfish and can not be reversed.

“When I play video games, I like to be able to outsmart the other players, like in many other games such as chess.”

I also find that playing first person shooters train my brain to think about the possibilities and the probabilities of defeating the enemy as soon as possible. I have to think about the odds of winning and losing, and how I can increase them. This includes me strategizing and unleashing my schemes to figure out a way to achieve my goal. I find that this teaches me how to use most of my life skills like perseverance, effort, flexibility, initiative, organization, problem-solving, responsibility, patience, curiosity, and cooperation.

No comments:

Post a Comment