Friday, November 12, 2010

Response to Tiffany

Everyone uses abbreviations on the internet, but Tiffany’s quote has got me thinking about the uses of them. I found her amazing quote from Tiffany’s blog:
Many people know me as a person who has random questions in my mind that does not even connect to the topics we discuss. During lunch, a question randomly popped up and I asked if everyone actually LOLs(Laugh out loud) when they are chatting?
Honestly, I usually use LOL incorrectly. I do not laugh out loud. I just smile or have an content face as my expression. Why must we use LOL? Is it because it's shorter than "haha" Why must we use LOL?
Not a freewrite :D so give me some answers why we use LOL
Personally, I use LOL only when I am smiling. When I am actually laughing, and I want to show my laughter, I use LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL or just a simple ROFL(rolling on the floor laughing) and LMFAO(laugh my fat ass off). I find that the longer the LOL I use, the stronger the laughing Impression i would show to the receiving person. Usually, I use a short lol when I am not laughing out loud, but smiling out loud.
On the other hand, I have seen people using LOL when the opposing person told a bad or insulting joke that the person didn't want to embarrass. The person might also send a LOL to try to drop and bypass a demeaning joke that could result in an argument. Sometimes, I use a short LOL to show that I enjoyed a joke or a funny comment, but I have to do something else like pick up a phone call that needs immediate attention. The LOL could suffice for the moment since it isn’t too boring of a feedback, but isn’t too long that there isn’t time to go and do that sudden business.
Another alternative for LOL is a simple haha. I find this more effective since I feel that LOL is too overused and childish. For some reason, I have a feeling that if the LOL is capitalized or lower cased, it would show a level of the humor for feedback. A lower cased lol would be comsidered a weak laugh, and a capitalized LOL would be a solid laugh. In the end, I think that different people have different approaches to giving feedback, but for me, LOL isn’t a very effective one.

No comments:

Post a Comment